Find your answers here!

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Zanzibar Community.

Zanzibar Community – WeAreZanzibar Forums General Shipping a pet on and off Zanzibar island

  • Shipping a pet on and off Zanzibar island

    Posted by Nancy V. on April 15, 2022 at 12:32 PM

    Hi there, we are thinking of staying on Zanzibar for a couple of months. We have a dog that we like to take with us.

    1. Are there good vets on the island?
    2. What are the rules for importing a pet?
    3. Any rules if we are leaving the island again?

    Thank you very much!

    Maria_Pucek replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Maria_Pucek


    April 15, 2022 at 4:57 PM

    Hello Nancy.

    Tanzania does not require that your pet needs to be identified with a pet microchip, but it is recommended that you microchip your pet and register your contact information.

    If your pet does not have a registered microchip, make sure your pets are wearing tags that identify them and have contact information for the owner.Your pet must be vaccinated for rabies at least 30 days but not more than 3 years prior to travel(Puppies and kittens should not be vaccinated for rabies before 3 months of age).

    Dogs must also be vaccinated against Leptospirosis, Canine viral hepatitis, Parvovirus infection, Canine distemper.

    Cats must also be vaccinated against Feline rhinotracheitis, Feline calicivirus infection and Feline panleucopaenia.A rabies titer test is not required to enter Tanzania from any country.

    A licensed veterinarian will complete a Veterinary Certificate for Tanzania no more than 14 days prior to transport for endorsement by the USDA (if traveling from the United States) and CFIA (if traveling from Canada).

    If you are traveling from anther country, the Governmental Authority from your country responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse the forms.

    Tanzania requires an import permit for entry. You should apply well ahead of your visit for a permit to bring your pet to Tanzania.

    Pets must enter Tanzania via Julius Nyerere International Airport in Dar es Salaam or Kilimanjaro International Airport in Arusha. Pets can enter in the cabin, as checked baggage or air cargo.

    Whenever you travel to a foreign country like Tanzania, it is always advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of your pet.

    All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the entry airport. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.

    Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Tanzania. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination!

    If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a turtle or parrot, you should verify that it is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). You will need to apply for additional permits if this is the case. Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITES regulations.

    You can also check out this site: Clove Pet Moving

    They offer safe transport of animals and help you.

    There is a vet on Zanzibar,his name is Dr. Rama and here is the number:0777-461904.

    Also there is a place in Stown Town called Zanzibar Animals Affection Society. I will leave you link for their page: You can text them there!

    All animals leaving Tanzania need to have a Health Certificate and an Export Certificate. This is only issued within 10 days of leaving.

    For the Veterinary clinic to process the health certificate and export permit you will need:

     A physical examination of your pet done by a licensed veterinarian. Upon completion of the physical examination the veterinarian will issue a Health Certificate.

     A copy of the Vaccination Book. The Veterinarian will examine the vaccination /medical book to make sure your pet is up to date with vaccinations.

     Certain countries require the veterinary clinic to fill out their country’s version of a health certificate as well. You will need to discuss this with your veterinarian, an agent if needed and research the import laws in the country you are moving to. This is especially true for the EU and South Africa.

    The above is taken to the ministry and they issue an Export Certificate. It is only issued on working days. The process takes 2-3 working days after receiving the documents. The export certificate and health certificate is only valid for 10 days.


    Most countries require that your pet be identified with a pet microchip. The most internationally recognised microchip is a 15 digit ISO 11784 compliant microchip. Its extremely important to register your contact information with the microchips online database prior to traveling as a means of identification should your pet be lost or separated from you. If your pet’s microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you can bring your own microchip scanner. Most Tanzanian Veterinarian Clinics are stocked with this type of Microchip.

    Please Note: Vaccinations should be administered the same day or after the microchip is implanted.


    Your dog or cat will need either proof of current rabies vaccination and DHPPL OR a health certificate in English and completed by a licensed veterinarian. See below for additional details about the rabies titer test required to enter some rabies-free countries. In particular, some countries, like the EU require that your pet is microchipped and then vaccinated for rabies and then tested 30 days later (see Rabies Titer Test). However, your pet is only eligible to enter into the EU no sooner than 3 calendar months after the date the blood was drawn.

    Please note that some rabies vaccines vary in the length of coverage and some countries like South Africa for example does not accept a 2 or 3 year vaccination.

    Within 10 days of exiting Tanzania, a licensed veterinarian may need to complete the Veterinary Certificate for the country of importation, this is not required by all countries. Please Check the countries government websites for information or contact the embassy. This can be done together with the export permit from Tanzania. The veterinarian will need to visit the Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries to obtain these.

    Required Time: Health Certificates and Export Permits usually take about 3 days to receive, but you should give yourself 10 days. We recommend that you do not purchase your pets plane ticket until you have applied for this. Some countries require that you apply for an import permit for the animals prior to entering the country. This will usually be a form that needs to be filled out by a licensed veterinarian in Tanzania.

    Some countries require that any animal who is imported be quarantined at a government facility for a duration of time, this should always be pre-arranged as they usually have limited space. Some countries allow you to to the quarantine at your place of residence and in some cases, depending on the necessary documents you can be eligible for a reduction in quarantine time.

    I hope this helped! Good luck!

Reply to: Nancy V.
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018